Identify common game genres, describe rule creation and elements of player challenge and differentiate 2D and 3D game environments.
- Document the primary rules of a reasonably simple game that you like. Include a sketch of the user interface; a list of all the buttons and menu items; and a list of the other modes that may be available. Describe the challenges and actions that make the game interesting to you.
- Play: After Sunset 2.
Discuss the goals and objectives of this game.What genre(s) would you classify this game and why? Describe the game mechanics. How intuitive (i.e. easy) is it to navigate the game? Explain the constitutive rules and the intuitive rules. What is the player motivation? How does the challenge compare to the risks and rewards? Explain why you think this is or is not a balanced game.
- Complete part one in a new blog post. It will be due by the end of the day..
- Once you have finished part two. Post your answers and thoughts about “After Sunset 2″ on your blog. Due before class on Wednesday, Jan 10.
MAKE SURE TO WRITE IN COMPLETE SENTENCES
FOR ALL ASSIGNMENTS.
Gain a solid foundation of the Unity UI and be able to follow a set of directions to assemble a pre-made video game.
Follow along with the videos at the bottom of this page or read through the directions on the PDF document to assemble TANKS in the Unity Engine. The document can be found with the project folder at the following location.
Q:[Local Public CollegeStation]\\OuallineJ\GameDesign\TankTut\…
Copy the entire TankTut folder over to the Game Design folder in your H: drive. Once Unity is running, select open project and navigate to the TankTut project folder to open the project inside of Unity.
Make sure to capture screenshots of your progress to upload to your blog. Make sure to have your blog updated by Friday of this week.
Demonstrate the ability to review and summarize a video game; examining intent, form, and functionality. Reconstruct the rules of contemporary games, in order to improve the game play experience. Critique contemporary video games; providing adequate arguments and justification.
Contemporary Game Assignment
- Find a game similar to one you would be interested in making.
- Play the game long enough to understand the directions and the overall objective(s) of the game.
- Produce a Game Modification Task Sheet document by identifying the following:
Based on your own observations, create a written plan for modifying the game. This document will serve as your Game Modification Plan.
- What platform is used to play the game?
- What is the objective of the game?
- What three things do you like about the game?
- What three things did you not like about the game?
- List three reasons why you think this game is popular and successful.
Your plan should include the following:
- Re-write the main goal of the game.
- Describe how you would improve the game. Be as specific as possible!
- List three reasons why your ideas may not have been implemented by the original designers.
- List three reasons why you think players would like your changes.
- List three reasons why these changes would be difficult to implement.
The Contemporary Game Assignment is due by Wednesday, November 01. All of it will be submitted to your blog. Be ready to discuss in class.
Demonstrate the ability to review and summarize a selected board game; examining intent, form, and functionality.
Write a GDD for the game that you evaluated last week. We reviewed the example document as a class, use your notes to make sure that you include all necessary elements in your document.
Continue to polish out the assigned GDD and have a rough draft completed for review by Wednesday, October 25.
Conduct research and create a presentation over a legitimate job posting in the Game Development industry.
Use the internet to identify a company that is currently looking to hire for a position that you are interested in. Use the Career Exploration in Game Design to guide you through what information needs to be researched and collected. Once the information is collected, you will need to construct a presentation that meets the requirements list on the attached file.
When done, post the presentation to your blog. If there are included animations, submit your presentation to the correct folder in the ExamDrop.
Research careers in the game development industry and the qualifications in order to attain them.
Use the attached PDF as a guide to help you research a career within the game development industry.
Gather as much material as you can. Attempt to organize it and post pertinent information to your blog as reference. The presentation will be due next week.
Develop professional communication skills by organizing and presenting an oral presentation over a game released before 1990.
Select and research any game released before the year 1990. Develop an oral presentation about the game.
Make sure to get instructor approval on the game you decide to research.
Presentation will be due before class on Monday, Sep. 11.
Discuss and engage in the academic pursuit of defining what a ‘game’ is. What is the difference between an analytical and nominal definition.
Work through teacher led discussion over the history of games and their definitions. Students will take notes and discuss propositions in an attempt to agree on which definition will be used for this course.
Time management and organization are key to success in any field of study. Discover ways to help master them in order to be successful in this class and in your daily life.
Work through teacher led discussion over file management and organization. We will discuss the importance of time management and ways to be successful in this class. Students will take notes that can later be used on quiz.